Do you love all things print? Do you wish you could design beautiful stationery all day and see your work come to life on press? Are you a team player and able to appreciate a smaller work environment? Do you have experience working directly with clients, thoughtfully and tactfully advising them throughout the process? Are you detail-oriented? These are just a few of the things we are looking for in a candidate. We are looking for the ideal candidate to become a part of our well-crafted team. See below for a detailed job description.
Spark Letterpress is a successful, nationally-recognized letterpress and stationery design company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We specialize in letterpress printing, which is a relief printing method that presses ink into the paper. We service discerning clients nationwide and embrace the most challenging specialty printing projects. Our work has been featured more than 40 times in print publications and countless times via top online sources, in addition to making television appearances and winning numerous awards.
Spark has a solid reputation for outstanding quality and service. This position is critical to our overall continued success as he/she will play a role in the creation of the designs Spark will be known for. We expect our designer to handle each project with the utmost care while keeping in mind their overall schedule. The designer works directly with our clients and stationery sales associate to create award-winning designs that exceed our customer’s expectations. We are looking for a person who is a team player, quick learner and is able to multitask as he/she works with our diverse clientele.
This is a junior position within our company. While experience is helpful, we are also equally considering your raw talent and potential to grow while at Spark.
Tasks associated with this position:
- Design custom stationery per direction obtained in client meetings.
- Provide clients with helpful and tactful suggestions throughout the process to ensure the highest quality result.
- Demonstrate creativity in assisting our clients on how to customize their stationery. This may be selecting paper and ink choices, changing artwork and design layout or adding the perfect finishing touches.
- Spark is a growing company and this position has a lot of opportunity for growth that could include: stationery product design, small business branding design, pre-press assistance, Spark’s external marketing pieces.
- You will assist with shared marketing and social media efforts including wedding and industry show booth styling and staffing, pinning to our Pinterest boards, photography styling, and creating posts for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and our blog.
Skills essential for this position:
- Ability to multi-task. This position requires that you are quick to move from one task to another while prioritizing. Finding answers for our clients and getting back to them in a timely manner is critical.
- Communicate effectively utilizing good grammar, while promoting a positive and helpful attitude.
- Create accurate proofs, recognize errors in client-supplied wording or order forms, and a willingness to ask questions when something does not look accurate.
- A calm personality is a plus in this position as you sometimes deal with demanding clients.
- The ability to be a team player; the success of our business depends on everyone doing their part and helping others.
- Advanced computer skills including Adobe Illustrator (all designs are created in Illustrator), InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat and Microsoft Office. These tools are used to communicate internally and externally.
- A college education or equivalent is required, a Bachelor’s degree in design or a design-related field is preferred.
- Please provide salary requirements in your cover letter for this full time, entry-level position.
- Hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm, and the ability to meet with clients after hours and on Saturdays by appointment. The schedule can be flexible and adjusted for the right candidate.
- Medical coverage is available after meeting the 90-day requirement
- Paid time off that is pro-rated based on starting date and seven paid holidays per year
- Annual Bonus-eligible position
- Smoke free environment – smokers need not apply
Email inquiries only. Send a PDF (less than 15MB) or link to your portfolio, resume and cover letter clearly explaining why you are uniquely qualified to work with us. Inquiries may be directed to Valerie Carlson or firstname.lastname@example.org.